Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lost in Tra Vinh - Part 2

On our second day in Tra Vinh we got dressed up in the same, too hot, 'nice' clothes which were now a bit sweaty and wrinkled. We were all wearing the same underwear from the day before, and only Doris had any makeup on. My hair was a mess, but I couldn't do anything about it.
But we didn't care! It was the G&R day! We got to the 10am appointment, and were told the guy still couldn't be found to sign off on the files. It was really devastating. We were told to come back at 3pm.
So we spent the day visiting pagodas and seeing the sights. It was nice for the parents to have this extra time to see the area where their children were born. We stopped by the orphanage for another visit for a while.
Finally, at 3pm, we tried again. Still no signature. However, we were told to wait, and about an hour later, a man drove up on a motorcycle with some folders under his arm. As he walked past me, I saw Quan's name on one of them!
So the ceremonies happened! Doris and Nelson were first. Loan translated and took pictures, I videotaped and cried, and their little boy was put into their arms.
Then it was Susan's turn - I videotaped and cried harder. Quan was put into her arms forever. I felt like part of my family had come home too.
We then had a 5 hour drive home. Quan let us know when he needed something - he knows how to scream! But both babies were mostly content. The parents, I think, were pretty happy!
Finally, home! Well, the hotel home. But it was nice to be back there and settle in. I had a really nice afternoon playing on the floor with Quan and Uncle Howard the next day, and I have helped out with the 3am feedings. He is a wonderful happy little boy.
You should see him when he giggles! His dumpling face gets all squishy and he has a two-tooth smile! That smile can take your heart away!

No comments:

Post a Comment