Sunday, May 17, 2009

The "Nuc"











I just got home with 6 nucleus packages, or 'nucs' as the beekeepers call them. A nuc is a box half the size of a hive box with 4 frames of bees, brood, stored honey and pollen, plus a queen. I'm keeping one for myself, the others I picked up as a favor for a couple of other beekeepers. They are buzzing with a low hum in my garage.

Again, I found some very generous neighbors right next door! They were willing to move their woodpile to create space in their backyard, so we went to work last night and set up the hive. Lifting the frames one by one into the new hive box was difficult, only because full frames are very much heavier than empty ones, and there are so many bees, they were crawling all over my hands. They also crawled all over me, a couple made it up my inner pantleg, and I got stung! For the first time! In a delicate area...

So now I've been initiated. I have two hives, almost two weeks worth of experience, and a whole new world of community opening up filled with generous neighbors and fellow beekeepers. I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment