Saturday, March 6, 2010

Journey to Molly

We met up with another family from Vancouver who are travelling through HCMC to Vung Tau. Fortunately, they were coming through now - perfect timing for me! I invited them for dinner, then asked if I could hitch a ride in their van to Vung Tau.

David and Peter adopted Chloe from Vung Tau 3 ("VT3") about 8 years ago, and have brought Chloe back more than once to visit the orphanage. On Friday, Loan arranged the same van and driver to take us there, and Peter generously phoned the hotel they were booked in and arranged a room for me.

On the way out of town, we stopped at a huge department store (Walmart Superstore?) to buy supplies for the orphanage. David took a cart, Peter took a cart, and Chloe and I took a third cart, and we went crazy! Chloe and I shopped for the things we knew best - baby clothes and toys. We just walked down the aisles and put anything we wanted into the cart! What a shop-aholic's dream! When all the carts were full, it took about 45 mins to ring it all through. We loaded it into the van and carried on.

A big thanks to Merel & Nathan, and Margie & Larry, who contributed some funds to this shopping trip. I added a little bit too, and we had a total of $200 to contribute.

We went directly to the orphanage. We met the director at the gate, and while she was talking I recognized the words 'Minh Sanh'. I nodded yes! and they directed me to the baby room.

I looked around for Molly, but recognized Maya first, then Phuong. Finally, I saw Molly standing in her crib. I went to her, picked her up, and she cuddled right into me. What an amazing feeling, to finally have her in my arms!

David took a bunch of pictures of us. I looked at Loan and said some words in Vietnamese I had been practicing: "Day la con gai, cua toi". It means: "This is my daughter".

While I was crouched down at Molly's crib, my purse strap fell off my shoulder, and a couple of other babies pounced on it. Eventually, I looked around to see where it was, and Phuong had the strap around his neck, and the purse was dragging on the ground. He was running around, and not letting anyone else touch his purse! I got pictures - I'll show him when he's older what a little monkey he was!

This first visit was overwhelming. Taking a closer look at Molly, I saw that she had a really bad case of scabies all over her body, and her feet are covered in infected lesions. She also has a goose-egg bump on her head, and some chest congestion.

It took me overnight to decide to take her out of the orphanage to take her back to HCMC. I found I couldn't make the arrangements until Monday, but I'm lining up the transportation and doctor appointments with help from Loan and Susan.

I visited the next day as well, and spent a little more time with the other children whose parents I have been in touch with. Molly has 2 other friends in the orphanage who will also come to Vancouver and will remain friends, as we parents know each other. I have also been emailing with a family from Ontario who will adopt another one of Molly's friends from VT3. I have tried to take pictures and send information home to these families. I have word that the Ontario family will be arriving next week, and another Vancouver family could be coming soon.

I will visit every day until I take Molly to Saigon. If all goes well, I hope to return to Vung Tau and continue to visit the kids at the orphanage. It's amazing how attached I have gotten to the babies - there are 19 babies in the room, and only 2 nounous on shift at one time. Plus, there are so many older children. Beautiful, curious, amazing kids! It's been a great experience so far.

6 comments:

  1. As the reader, I am quite concerned about these infected lesions on her feet?! Has she also got them on her hands? Could it have been hand foot and mouth disease (watery blisters after a fever?) I hope the Dr's check up went okay. I'm anxious to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine....if you are at Vung Tau 1 will you snap a couple pics if you get introduced to Le My Yen (Lily) about 5.5 months.

    So happy your are able to really experience Vietnam and I love reading your posts.

    Thanks...Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine,

    Absolutely charming. I am so happy you went early and having such an amazing time.
    I wonder now... how many babies will you come back home with.. ? (I guess we'll wait and see :) ).

    Maryna K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine,
    Just wanted to let you know that you were a hot topic of conversation at a dinner I had with a few other mommies in Toronto who have adopted from Vietnam. We are all so concerned about you and Molly since you have not posted in over a week. We hope you are doing well!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine! It sounds like you've had such an amazing trip so far and I can't wait to hear more, especially some good news for you and Molly!
    Thinking of you and hoping that all is on the way to your ceremony!
    Cheers,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine,

    Not sure if my post went through or not, so I'm trying again.

    So far, it sounds like you've had a great trip and I'm happy to hear that you've been connecting with Molly. Hopefully by now you've gotten her to a doctor and taken care of those scabies and lesians.

    I cannot wait to hear the good news about your papers coming through and you being able to bring Molly home. My thoughts are with you!

    It would also be great to hear more about your trip as it sounds like a fascinating place to tour and some updates about the babies too!

    How exciting for you! Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete