Sunday, September 12, 2010

Vung Tau 3 Orphanage Adoption News

My adoption may be complete, but I still follow the adoption progress of the kids I got to know at Molly's orphanage.  I had a conversation with Loan this past week, and got some news.

There is one family who is in Vietnam and had their adoption ceremony a few days ago.  Another family has received the OK to travel.  And there are 4 new babies at the orphanage since I was there.

I am in contact with some of the waiting parents here in Canada, and I know that they are anxiously waiting for news of progress on their files.  Unfortunately, Loan said that things seem to be slowing down a bit.

The government of Vietnam has recently adopted new adoption rules to be more compliant with the Hague Convention.  They will take effect in January 2011, but apparently there is a deadline of September 30th where files in progress before that date will be completed under the old rules, but any afterwards will subject to the new rules.  Therefore, there has been a big push to get as many files through as possible, before the end of the month.  This has put a lot of pressure on everyone involved, processing of files is slower due to the volume, and Loan is very busy!  You can read more about the new rules here.

However, all 'my kids' should be home in Canada before the end of the year.  (Should! one never knows...).  I am planning to make a trip back east with hopes of visiting the families once they are all back and settled in.  How wonderful it would be to see all those babies again with their forever families on Canadian soil!  I also have hopes of keeping in contact with the families as time passes on.  I feel that the children that Molly grew up with in the orphanage are part of her Vietnamese family, which includes their nannies, teachers, the Director Mme. Hong and Loan.  If I can keep in contact with them, Molly will have something of her past to hold onto as she grows up.  My time in Vietnam allowed me to form friendships and relationships with her Vietnamese family.  I want to keep them present in her life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment