Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Molly's First Trip to the Emergency Room

We were out and driving home this afternoon when Molly coughed and choked in her car seat behind me.  I looked back to see what was going on - she didn't have any food.  She really choked - gasped for breath, then it cleared.  It was very brief, but intense.  It took me just a few seconds to figure it out - her hair clip wasn't in her hair anymore!

I pulled over to make sure she was all right, then jumped back into my seat and sped off to the hospital.  Thankfully, we were just a few blocks from Children's Hospital, and I had been there with a friend's child a year or so ago, so I knew where to go.

The Emergency Nurse first made sure that Molly's air sounds were OK, to rule out the clip being in her lungs.  Then we waited about an hour to see a doctor.  An x-ray showed the clip in her stomach, which was a relief.  Any place else might have needed surgery to remove.  I have to watch for vomiting and stomach cramps, but they sent us home to wait for Molly to poop it out.

I guess I'll cut her bangs now.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! That sounds like a frightful experience!! Hope for an uneventful passing! Hugs for Molly and her curiosity!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine you must be so relieved. You got my attention now not to be so relaxed when Lily eats in her car seat. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know another little Molly over at Babymakesthree who did the same thing! So glad she is fine. Those choking noises are scary for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say the same thing as B... must be a Molly thing!
    So glad it has passed and Molly is ok :)

    ReplyDelete