Friday, May 7, 2010

Molly or Minh Sanh?

I decided a long time ago that I would name my daughter Molly. Before I knew who she was, and before I got her proposal, I decided on Molly. Any other parent gets to name their child, and I decided that if the orphanage Director named her, then I could choose my own name, and keep her Vietnamese name as her middle names.


So then I came to Vietnam and unexpectedly spent 7 weeks at the orphange with her, where she was Minh Sanh. The Vietnamese pronounce the two names quickly, with the emphasis on the last syllable. They also pronounce an 'S' as the 'sh' sound, but in this case, it's almost a 'ch'. So it sounds like 'Min CHAN'.


So in the early days, I was sitting on the mat with a nanny and a bunch of kids, and Molly was nearby, and getting into something she shouldn't. I cried out "Minh Sanh!" and she ignored me. The nanny called out THE SAME THING, and Molly turned around to look at her with a guilty look on her face. I did it again when Molly turned away - no response. I couldn't pronounce her name properly, and she didn't recongnize it as her name. The nanny and I had a good laugh about it.


But after many weeks at the orphanage, I started calling her Minh Sanh instinctively. That was/is her name. Is it right to change it? She's almost a year old.


Now that we are no longer there everyday, I am calling her both names. Minh Sanh is instinctive and Molly is deliberate. I have decided that it's OK to use Molly as her first name. Changing the pronounciation of Minh Sanh is just about the same thing as changing the name completely, to her. So, Molly she will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment