Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Visit to the Orphanage

Molly and I went back to the orphanage this afternoon for a visit. It was so nice for me to see everyone again, but others had lukewarm reactions for me!
Molly suddenly was whiny and clung to me. She didn't want to be held by her nannies, and I couldn't put her down without her screaming. I guess she thought that I might leave her there again. It took a little while, but eventually she gave them some cuddles, and I was free to play with the other kids a little bit.
The older toddlers used to run towards me with smiles and excitement when we arrived in the mornings. Today - lukewarm. It took a couple of balloons and a couple of swings upside down before they liked me again.
Thankfully, the younger kids aren't quite as fussy. I got smiles, a wiggle and even a short cuddle from the little peanut I love so much. I had brought a pocketful of balloons with me, so some of the others were chasing them across the mat. I noticed that some of those kids have grown in the last 2 weeks! It was really nice to sit and play with them again. I took lots of pictures to send to waiting parents.
So, there is a bit of news from the baby room. There were two wooden bed frames in the room that have been replaced with these 2 huge crib/beds. They have high sides and a gate on them, and sit off the ground, so when the 3 toddlers are put inside, they can't climb out! Man, do they hate that! It looks like they are in prison and it probably feels that way too. But I'm sure the nannies love them. The three little boys created a lot of havoc, and it was a challenge to keep all six little hands out of trouble at times.
It was nice to see the nannies and the teachers again. I brought a watermelon to share with them, and we were back to our usually gestures, Vietnamese/English dictionaries, and making do with whatever words we knew, in order to communicate.
We plan to go back again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment